[A Cloud Guru] Rapidly Deploying IPv6 on AWS
Learn how to use automation to deploy dual-protocol AWS infrastructure
ABOUT THE COURSE
Hello Cloud Gurus!
The majority of wireless subscribers now use native IPv6 and many residential internet connections use IPv6. Each year the amount of internet traffic using IPv6 doubles and the largest content providers have IPv6 deployed. Now it has been shown that IPv6 can be faster, on average, than IPv4 internet communications.
If you are building applications and services in Amazon Web Services (AWS) Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) then your product should support connectivity over both IPv4 and IPv6. You will want your public web applications, mobile applications and IoT applications accessible to the broadest internet population and a globally-unique addressing space. Furthermore, you should be using software automation and configuration management to deploy both protocols automatically when building cloud infrastructure.
This course will give you a solid foundation in IPv6 and show you how to configure it within your AWS virtual networks. This course will also show you how to automate this configuration process using CloudFormation Templates and AWS CLI scripts that rapidly deploy dual-protocol AWS environments.
In this course, you’ll learn:
- IPv6 protocol basics and IPv6 addressing format.
- IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP) and how IPv6 works in AWS EC2 instances.
- How IPv6 is manually configured within AWS VPCs, subnets, route tables, gateways security groups, NACLs, EC2 instances, etc.
- CloudFormation Templates for automated configuration of IPv6 infrastructure.
- AWS CLI to rapidly configure dual-protocol infrastructure.
You don’t need to be an expert in IPv6 to do this course, we’ll step you through what you need to understand and take advantage of IPv6 and dual-protocol infrastructure.
Keep being awesome, Cloud Gurus!
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of IPv6 to cloud, IoT and application automation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the IPv6 protocol and addressing.
- Familiarity with OS and application behaviour in dual-protocol networks.
- Learn how to configure CloudFormation Templates for provisioning dual-protocol environments.
- Learn how to use AWS CLI to rapidly configure dual-protocol AWS network.
- DevOps engineers needing to deploy dual-protocol infrastructure to support globally-accessible applications.
- Cloud network and security engineers interested in IPv6 configuration in AWS virtual networks.
- Application developers requiring knowledge of how to create IPv6-enabled development, test, and production environments using repeatable automated configuration methods.
- Cloud 101, AWS Architect Associate, or similar background.
Scott Hogg is CTO and a co-founder of HexaBuild.io, and IPv6 consulting and training firm. Scott is a CCIE #5133 and CISSP #4610 with over 25 years of network and security experience. Scott actively works on cloud systems, possessing many AWS certifications along with the CCSK and CCSP cloud security certifications. Scott is Chair Emeritus of the Rocky Mountain IPv6 Task Force (RMv6TF), and a member of the Infoblox IPv6 Center of Excellence (COE). Scott has authored the Cisco Press book on IPv6 Security and also writes for NetworkWorld.com.